Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

A cat by any other name would not be the same. 'Same' just seems like such a bland name, though.

What do you know, the "Word of the Day" (an email service that sends an obscure word every day to me) is Ailurophile: a lover of cats. This is weird, because we brought home our new cat today. I think a cute name for her would be "Samantha". It was the name of the beautiful blond on "Bewitched" and the name of Chris' favorite slut from “Sex in the City”. Hmmm. We'll see. Is she really a "Samantha"?


She had a little trouble with the file folders. She seems more like a 'Trudy' or a 'Helena' to me. 'Birtha' seems fitting yet cruel somehow. ‘Divine’ seems so horribly gay, albeit a fine tribute. Maybe she's a 'Cindy' or a 'Misty'.

Interestingly, many people in former Eastern Germany were really attracted to names that ended with the “e” sound--they sounded particularly American to them, I guess. So, you'll meet an occasional 'Bobby' or 'Suzy' here. When you do, though, they are almost always from the East. I find it terribly difficult to address a grown man as ‘Bobby’. What if he were my boss? Weird.

I used to work for the government answering questions over the telephone about financial aid. I heard a lot of colorful names there. There was once a woman named 'Aquanet'. Inspired by ‘Prince’, there was a woman who had changed her name to be only one word: 'Beautiful'. (Come to think of it, Prince must have had such a hard time changing his one word name, especially considering ‘The Artist Formerly Known As’ surely did not fit on the form under “Christian Name”.)

'Pretty' seems to be a really popular African American name now. The best, though, was when I noticed that a young woman named 'Pretty' had the unfortunate last name of 'Bush'. My old roommate, also an African American woman, claimed that she had one cousin named 'Fruity' and one named 'Minty'. I had trouble believing that.

My cat needs a name. You must to be helping me! Suggestions?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought she looked like a Maria or a Sophia. Some kind of -ia. -Monica

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although Helena isn't bad either...

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or you could name her Archivista, based on the picture...

12:12 AM  
Blogger AltonianWeb said...

I have two cats that look exactly like your cat. They are sisters, so I named them Eva and Zza Zza. Their siblings are Freddie Fred Phred, and Mr. Sparklett. I just can't get over how German cats look just like American ones. It is amazing!!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Alton, but, boy, do they meow differently. They totally snub me when they hear my American accent in my meow. -Monica

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home