Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Figaro's Hightime

It was last night, while watching Marriage of Figaro here in Pforzheim that a sudden realization came over me. I have the strangest profession ever. People get up, put on costumes, and sing, for hours on end, works hundreds of years old, usually dated and about silly subjects, get clapped for, then go take their make-up of and go home. That’s just weird. And, frankly, not quite the lofty goal I had made it out to be for such a long time. It’s weird, but, if I end up not making it in opera, I don’t think that my heart will be broken. At least not after seeing the Marriage of Figaro. Chris loved it. I found it musically interesting but über-trite.

Speaking of Chris… Today is his birthday, so if you get a chance, you should email or call him. He would love that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ottavina said...

I often feel like that about anything I'm currently doing. Like, any kind of work on the computer (like data entry) that I've done, seems pointless overall. But then again, so does my current job. And I often think of the ridiculousness of my own interest in baroque music and history and I think, "What good is it?" And the answer ends up being "Well, it's pretty, and moving, and I love the affect of the pieces, and the history is interesting, and I feel like the aesthetics tell me a lot about the social context of the time."

So, flimsy reasoning, but so far the only thing that I could really support doing as something worthwhile is growing veggies. Or taking care of people. And I've done both of those things and there was something missing, so to speak.

And we all have to do something until we kick the bucket, anyway. So one form of occupation is as good as any. :)

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home