Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Despair

The most worrisome aspect of the current political climate is that it has made me, one of the most politically active people I know, completely turned off to it. I was so excited when I saw Obama speak in Berlin this year; I was so excited that a black man, an articulate, intelligent, educated black man who shared many of my ideas politically won the nomination of my party. But now, now that the hope has been sucked out of the campaign, in one stark slap across the face in the form of a 40-minute speech at the Republican National Convention, I am already disappointed even before the fact.

I now believe that Obama will lose the election.

The only glimmer of hope is that some in the media are starting to call a spade a spade and talk about the McCain campaign’s lies, actually using just that word “lies”. That’s really how I feel, that McCain is telling a bunch of whoppers and that Americans everywhere, so easily dissuaded because of “spin”, don’t really care or know whether they are true or not. This election will be about personalities, not politics, as McCain’s campaign advisor so rightly said. Well, that is just sad. So sad.

Dick Armey’s correct assessment of the American electorate with his theories about the “Bubba vote” (voters who resonate with Obama’s ideas, but that will, in the end, not vote for him because he is black) greatly trouble me, too. Chick Todd, on Meet the Press, also understood this incalculable, unpollable danger into account when he said that Obama would need to be ahead in some swing states by at least 48% in order to cancel out these independent “Bubba” voters. They are the ones who have said that they are undecided only because they are unwilling to take a hard stance against Obama, all the while knowing that they won’t vote for the man.

There is only one hope now, that Palin makes some huge, in your face mistake before the election.

The only other hope, one which I do not even flippantly entertain in my mind, is the hope that Americans will simply see through the lies and propaganda. Two words dissuade me from believing this, though: “Swift” and “Boat”.

I hope you all enjoy your soccer mom as president. I hope the international leaders find her charm as folksy as you have once 72-year-old McCain kicks the bucket in his first year.

But, you know what, if it happens, then you deserve the consequences. That is what the last 8 years have been anyway, haven’t they—payback for bad choices? I can understand how the election in 2000 took place, that seemed like a fluke. But you elected that idiot TWICE! I agree that the majority spoke in the last two elections. I also simultaneously agree that you all got what you deserved by making such a stupid choice. The Iraq war, the repeal of habeus corpus, Guantanemo Bay, a plunging dollar, a housing crisis, bringing on an overall economic crisis, these are all what you brought onto yourselves. Now, if you vote for McCain, you will be wishing onto yourselves more of the same, perhaps worse. And you will deserve it.

America, I am so close to giving up on you. I feel like some battered wife who stupidly sticks by her man. And now, in the midst of another beating, I keep repeating to myself “this can’t be happening”.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ottavina said...

Well, there is the hope that some folks will wake up when Palin has to go head-to-head with Biden. I'm not holding my breath, though. I know so many people who are completely enamored with the McCain-Palin ticket because their values are in the right place. (Their words, not mine.) I point out the lies, and it doesn't seem to matter because he's been in the military and she's a mom, and she's pro-life, so that's the perfect combo, they tell me! *headdesk*

I think that it's happened again to the country, in which we have a to-be-avoided republican candidate, and a good dem candidate who is just not convincing enough for some. (I hear so often about his lack of experience and all the dirt dredged up in that stupid book that is sold at Wal-Mart. I had hoped choosing Biden would help correct that focus into what the duo could really offer.)

Honestly? I'm scared no matter what. I'm afraid that, should they decide (I say they, because I have no faith in the popular vote) to put Obama in office, the certain economic difficulties we face will be blamed on his leadership, even though they are all a long time coming, no matter who gets in office. Those pulling the puppet strings will make it look like Obama's disaster.

Also, it is absolute INSANITY that the candidates are pandering to the public with the typical crap rather than addressing the issues they should address. It's mid-September. I'd rather hear details (not just promises) about how we're going to begin to fix this mess rather than about the idiocy of the other guy/gal. I was relieved to hear a few economic analysts say the same thing on NPR the other day.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't share your same doom and gloom, but it is hard to be an optimist in this environment where only superficiality seems to matter and where the spindoctors always seem to be aligned with the dark side. I am keeping my hope alive, though, and how audacious is that?:) We Americans seem to grasp onto hope now, as though it is all we have, because we no longer can identify the truth, as it has been twisted, molested, chewed, and regurgitated so many times, it is unrecognizable to most. Only the most intelligent can see the truth, and to be honest, I have an empty feeling knowing that there are not enough of them to change the political landscape. I am disheartened, dienfranchised, and lonely as I watch my country come unglued economically, the labor of decades of unrivaled and unrestrained greedy capitalism without a conscience...a stance fully supported by the Republicans who believe in the University of Chicago economists and their morally-driven followers (under false pretenses). The same ones who vote for them will continue to see their jobs evaporate, and while that may be poetic justice, it is a Greek tragedy for the rest of us who love this country and our fellow Americans.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home