Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wedding

Yes, yes, I promised to change this blog location. I still plan on doing so, in case you haven't heard. You must contact me personally or leave a comment in order to be forwarded on.


It has been a few days since I was married to Christoph. The wedding was on Friday, and it is only now that I have caught my breath and can reflect enough on it so that those of you who could not be there can know what it was like.

Well, Chris and I were the first Civil Union in the Marriage Bureau (Standesamt) of his little town. The Bureau is a cute, little half-timbered house in traditional German style. We had no idea how the civil servant would react to having to do his first civil union service. In truth, he could not have been nicer, and obviously was happy to do it; he did a stupendous job, even bringing flowers from his own garden to brighten up the Bureau. He made a cute sign hanging on the main door, with quotes from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Chris said later that he could see tears in the man's eyes at moments in the ceremony. (The cartoons are Chris' doing.)



I thought that I was going to be able to be strong during the ceremony and hold back my tears. But, at some point, I was so overwhelmed with joy that the floodgates gave way and I just started blubbering. I thought to myself: "I have heard countless stories of how getting married is one of the most moving and joyful moments in someone's life. I have never understood that until this very moment." And, it was true. Friday was the apex of my life so far. I have never felt joy like I did that day.



And I felt so extremely blessed. When Christoph and I had arrived at his parents the day before, we could see that they had been working diligently for weeks to make this day as special as they could for us. They rented a tent for the garden, they found a wonderful country inn in the Odenwald where they planned the four course meal for more than forty guests, they co-coordinated an afternoon coffee (with 13 different cakes) at their home for after the dinner, they planned for and served a huge sideboard meal for the guests that stayed until the evening, they made rooms in their homes available for the overnight guests that had traveled a long distance. And all of this was a gift from them to us.

The day went off without a hitch. The weather was beautiful, sunny and in the 70s. The ceremony was fantastic. Our rings turned out beautifully—a gift from our friend Peter, a Goldsmith here in Pforzheim. (You all knew that Pforzheim is the jewelry capital of Germany, right?)



The whole day was so emotional, and I really think that I started to get dehydrated from all of the crying. But, I couldn't help it, I couldn't help but feel that I had done nothing spectacular enough in my life to have deserved this intense joy that I felt at the outpouring of love from those who were there and had a hand in the planning. Even more deeply intense, though, was the joy that I felt at having found a husband like Christoph. I am blessed; I just can't stop saying it. I don't want to get all religious on you or anything, but I thank God for this, from every part of my being.

The dinner was tasty (I can be a pretty harsh critic of restaurants.) I seldom have experienced a dinner served en masse taste so good…the meat was of very good quality, and even Christoph was impressed by the vegetarian selection. And the speeches, oh the speeches. Chris' mother gave a speech (I am going to translate it and include it in my new blog.) I am relatively sure that there was not a dry eye in the room by the time she had finished…as she talked about how difficult it had been for her to learn that Chris is gay, that it pained her to think that this would make his life so hard, and that his life was actually hard, very hard. "Then came Josh," she said. And everything changed. This is true, and was true for me, too.

Monika so moved us all, especially Chris' relatives as they could see the true emotion in her eyes. The several gay couples that were invited were deeply moved, too. You have no idea what a fantastic woman Monika is, but to stand up and give a speech, so from her heart, not breaking down, but driving forward, in front of all of her relatives about how proud she is of her gay son, emphasizing especially for the gay folks there that I am now her son, too, is the work of an extremely strong woman, and everyone saw it as just that—amazing. The performance of a superwoman, and just about the best mother-in-law one could wish for.

I think that is what made the day so amazing: it all sort of played out in this perfect way, so perfect that I could not have even dreamed it up being any better.

Betsy gave a wonderful "groomsman" speech. The people were absolutely enchanted with Bets, as well they should be. She made the speech funny, but also reminded us that, when I was staying in Darmstadt, Chris and I slept on a twin mattress on the floor of a practically empty room. I look back on that time and wonder how we did it. But, I know that it was this intense, instantaneous love that Chris and I had/have for each other that made even sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor seem like heaven itself. The crowd got a great laugh when Betsy, not realizing what she was saying, said "And, now, when things get rough, just remember what it was like on that mattress." It's so terribly difficult not to get yourself into trouble in another language sometimes…

Everyone ate well, and we all got into our cars to drive through the beautiful hills of the Odenwald back to Chris' parents'. Everything had been prepared while we were gone, and it looked beautiful. We all enjoyed each other's company, occasionally being interrupted by a game for the groom and groom, staged by my new sisters-in-law Jutta and Nicole.


We laughed and cried the whole day long, it seems like. I was extremely tired, after having had so little sleep in the nervous days before Friday. But, the energy was stupendous, and everyone seemed to have really enjoyed themselves. I am married now. I just can't believe it! I never really dreamed that I would get this lucky. Never.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

- this was a perfect day; from the very beginning to the very end there was nothing i would have liked to be different. (well, i started the day waking up from a nightmare, that i'll miss my own wedding. but that's the right way to start your wedding day i guess.)

- i didn't dream that we would get THAT much support from everyone in the family. thank you, thank you, thank you all!

- i truly believe, that—unless you're married yourself—you can not fully understand what it means to be married. at least i had no idea before that it would feel like this, like a deep security inside of me that he ist there for me, no matter what happens. so again: no matter how many weddings you attended and how often you watched sex and the city—you don't know what it feels like ...

- josh did look stunning. (he still looks fine today.)

- i managed to marry in my favorite sneakers. and yes, that was a power struggle. and i was wearing my super cool shades for a short time. ;)

- there's no man as fine as josh for me. and i am very lucky that he choose me.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Ottavina said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wedding day in detail for those of us unable to make it. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there, but I send you both my best wishes for a happy future.

8:18 AM  
Blogger kilowatthour said...

congratulations! i wish i could have been there. give each other big hugs from me.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joshua and Chris,

We are sorry we could not make it to your special day. I am so happy for you, and I wish you innumerable years of joy to come. I look forward to seeing more photos next month in the States. Again, Congrats!

G

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes for unbounded joy and happiness throughout your lives.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap ambien no prescription ambien schedule 3 drug - ambien generic cr

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xanax 0.5mg xanax overdose foaming mouth - buy xanax online prescription

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy xanax online buy xanax online no prescription cheap - generic xanax qualitest

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ambien zolpidem teva generic zolpidem - zolpidem tartrate 5 mg

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap xanax online how to buy xanax online no prescription - xanax withdrawal neck pain

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy diazepam levoxyl drug interactions diazepam - diazepam 2mg buy online

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how to buy valium online valium where to buy in the uk - valium respiratory depression

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy diazepam apo diazepam 10mg side effects - melatonin and diazepam drug interaction

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy alprazolam online is xanax 1 mg strong - alprazolam stada 0 5 mg

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium diazepam diazepam dosage sedation - buy generic diazepam

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lorazepam 1mg ativan overdose stories - ativan seroquel overdose

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap xanax no prescription buy xanax online from india - buy xanax online no prescription overnight

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy generic ativan ativan dosage elderly - ativan uses in elderly

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alprazolam mg how much does xanax 1 mg sell for - xanax withdrawal valerian

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ativan without prescription ativan classification - pete wentz ativan overdose

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where to buy ambien online ambien cr generic launch date - price of ambience caitriona

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium india valium 10mg equivalent - buy valium overnight no prescription

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ambien pharmacy xanax ambien online - ambien dosage 5mg

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy soma soma 350 mg drug test - soma drug what is it

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Singular Asthma Medication fluconazole without prescription - diflucan without prescription http://www.diflucansaleonline.net/#diflucan-without-prescription , [url=http://www.diflucansaleonline.net/#order-diflucan ]order diflucan [/url]

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Male Infertility Drug escitalopram price - escitalopram without prescription http://www.costoflexaproonline.net/#escitalopram-without-prescription , [url=http://www.costoflexaproonline.net/#generic-escitalopram ]generic escitalopram [/url]

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6, klonopin online sale - order clonazepam online http://www.klonopinsaleonline.com/#klonopin-sale, [url=http://www.klonopinsaleonline.com/#generic-klonopin-online]generic klonopin online[/url]

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6, generic klonopin online - order clonazepam http://www.klonopinonlinediscount.com/#generic-klonopin-online, [url=http://www.klonopinonlinediscount.com/#buy-cheap-klonopin]order klonopin online[/url]

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home