Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Witty Sampler

Confessions, today:

1. I “happened upon” a copy of the movie “The Naked Gun”. I remember thinking that it was funny when I was young. I watched a bit today and practically laughed myself off my chair. Get a copy, people. Watch it. It’s still funny.

2. I am not sure if I have mentioned this before…so forgive me if I repeat myself. Sometimes, my muscles kind of tense up, especially in my upper back and trapezius muscles. It takes a lot to get them to release. Magnesium helps a lot. But, the only thing that is sure to work every time is 12-13 minutes in a 90 degree (Celsius) sauna followed by about 6 or 7 minutes outside (during the winter). This hot/cold combination forces my muscles to release and gives me an overall almost euphoric feeling. I highly recommend trying the sauna sometime if you are not familiar with it! And, now when Frühjahrsmüdigkeit is creeping up on a lot of people, this hot/cold combination is a great cure for the time between the winter and the spring when we all start to feel unusually tired.


3. An absolutely fabulous movie that I recently came across is “Atonement”, based on the story by Ian McEwan. This movie has everything in it—great acting, sumptuous cinematography, and a story that is just beyond belief gut wrenching. Atonement is a Merchant Ivory kind of movie set in the 30s and 40s in Europe. It has my greatest stamp of approval of any movie I have seen in some time. The only weak point is the music, in my opinion. It is a score by Dario Marianelli, and is some rather lame attempt at minimalism, based strongly on the sounds and rhythms of a typewriter. Mr. Marinelli also wrote the music for “V is for Vendetta”, and I remember much appreciating its Neo-Classical flare. I guess the point being is that not every composer can compose in every genre. To most of you the music of a film is not so important. For me, though, it is something that I really notice. His score, apparently, has also been nominated for an Oscar. I had no idea this movie was even in the running for so many awards before I had seen it. (I just had to reveal what great taste I have.) Anyway, I strongly disagree with the nomination of the composer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home