Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Friday, April 21, 2006

To Praise or Not To Praise

I know that most of the people (ok, the two of you) that read this blog must think I am completely off my rocker these days, talking about God, religion, even, God forbid, Jesus was mentioned a time or two. Oh well, you all know I’m mad as a hatter anyway, so what do I have to lose telling you that I have taken up reading passages from a pamphlet that was always in our house when I was young: “Our Daily Bread”. It is, in fact, a daily Christian devotional. I find it to be frequently enlightening.

I have thought for a long time that there are many facets to our lives. One would never think of not addressing our physical, psychological or emotional concerns. A balance of the different aspects of life is what brings us into harmony with our true selves. It is odd, though, in my opinion, that we do not address our spiritual concerns and needs on a regular basis. Even if I don’t agree with the dogma of religion in its entirety, I, when I was in the Motherland, loved going to church. The debate in my head, I found, was healthy, and the prayer, meditation, and music were good for my spiritual existence. That is why I think I should address my spirituality on a daily basis. So, I am going to use “Our Daily Bread” as a primer, to get those stagnant waters of my unknown flowing.

Example...

I found this text as a part of the “Our Daily Bread” today:

“Because we were created in God's image, our lives do have meaning for both time and eternity. God made us for His glory and placed us on earth to honor Him.”

I just don’t understand this as a concept. Ok, I understand it; I just don’t see it that way at all. The “created in God’s image” thing makes sense, but, like a child, living our lives to their fullest in their own intricate possibilities seems the best way to glorify our coming into existence. And, excuse me, I know it may be one of the many philosophical mysteries of this whole genre, but I can’t imagine God creating us to honor Him. That makes no sense to me. Why would he do that? Why would we even think that God would do that? Has He nothing better to do? Don’t you find long strings of questions in a text annoying?

I do not claim to know why God create us. But, to glorify Him can’t be it. That is so diva-ish. ‘I allow you to live only to worship me.’ is not a phrase I could imagine God saying. I mean, really....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you're off your rocker. (And how *did* hatters get to be so mad, anyway?) Spirtuality and practices are very personal - everyone goes through times in which it's on the brain.

If my blog went back to 1998-2004, you would have been reading about my own meanderings of discontent, independent thinking, and finally, peace with what I really believe (think of some of Spong's later works loosely intertwined with meditative and phlosophical principles from Eastern traditions).

4:53 PM  
Blogger He sings said...

From what I understand, milliners had to use extensive amounts of lead in hat making, causing lead poisoning of sorts, of which one of the side effects is madness. I have always found that interesting, somehow.

People who respond to their own blogs should be shot.

5:01 PM  
Blogger He sings said...

It was mercury in the hat-making, not lead. Thank you for the correction, George.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home