Commentary on life and all that it contains.

These are commentaries on life as I know it. It can be the quickened, pulsating breath you feel as the roller coaster inches its was over the ride's summit. It can be the calming breeze on the dusk of a warm day, sitting in isolation, reflecting on beauty or loves once had. It, life, can be everything that you will it to be.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Scary Texas

My sister sent me the link offered by the State of Texas to those people who are interested in knowing if there are any convicted child molesters living in their neighborhood.

See: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/soSearch/soSearch.cfm

I just think that it is so scary that someone that has committed a crime, has served his time, and has been allowed back onto the streets can then be potentially harassed for life. If the argument is that child molesters are typically not cured by incarceration, then the system by which they are sentenced for their crimes should be changed. The principle, not matter what the crime, remains the same, though, once you have served your time, your slate has been wiped clean, and you can make good on your previous mistakes. That is also a Christian ideal, just to remind those of you out there on your high horse about now. We ask for forgiveness, and the slate is wiped clean. In the penal system, once the punishment has been served, there should be forgiveness.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Texas isn't the only state with such an available website. I think Wisconsin has one, too. I have mixed feelings about this "service." I do think that everyone deserves a second chance, but I also know that the statistics are rather high for the chance of repeat offense.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Either let me know of all felons living in my area or truly rehabilitate the criminal. If a state can't rehabilitate any of them, then they should not discriminate.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home